Thursday, November 24, 2011

Things for Which I am Thankful in 2011


* That Mother Nature and the Earth do not go along with our notions of how they should behave.
* That I was raised as a Christian, still believe in the presence of some sort of ‘god,’ but am now more pagan than not.
*  That animals, especially my dog and my cat, love me unconditionally.
*  That within the last year I met the army officer who caught Che Guevara.
*  That I do not live in a Middle Eastern country.
*  That a Republican is not in the White House and the Democrats do not control Congress.
*  That I am one of the “1%,” not in the USA but in the world as a whole, and that I am well-enough informed to know it and wonder why.
*  That my prostate is small enough that I can still pee, my eyes are good enough to still see, and the arthritis in my thumbs still not so bad that I cannot write without voice-recognition software.
*  That my children are healthy and intelligent and have not pushed me out of their lives.
*  That I have a magnificent old boat and know how to sail her.
*  That my wife is a hottie.
*  That I did not shoot heroin or do meth when I was younger, but smoked lots of pot and did psilocybin.
*  That some people around the world seem to be waking up to the madness of the ‘war on drugs.’
*  That there is a Southern Hemisphere.
*  That the redneck gene is recessive.
*  That my extended family is only marginally dysfunctional and most of them have forgiven me for my youthful stupidities.
* That I have begun to appreciate the true nature of friendship and the redemptive power of love.



No comments: